Re^2: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Am 06.07.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Moin Adam!

APH> > APH>              * Source
APH> I thought it was a nice way to point to upstream location of the doc,
APH> for instance, the sunsite location for Linux FAQs.

Ok, maybe. Marcus?

APH> > APH>              * Relation.IsFormatOf
APH> Yes.  A converted file has Relation.IsFormatOf the original document.

Ok.

APH> See Marcus' reason why this is not true and document "type" and
APH> document "subject" are not necessarily related.  Anything we can do to
APH> keep the subject tree shallow is good, too, IMHO.

Well, I haven#t see any real argument, why we need type. For the user
there will be no difference. I vote to remove type.

APH> > APH>              * Rights
APH> > We don#t need that -> <foo>/copyright.
APH> That's true, we don't *need* it; it's optional.  OTOH, for instance on
APH> a DDP site or whatnot, knowing the rights would be a good thing.

But how should Rights work? Should the maintainer add the copyright text
ifself?

APH> > Too big. The title should fit in one line of a WWW browser or a screen.
APH> > I would suggest <= 60.
APH> Hmm.  One line is generally 75 characters, i.e., in email.  That's
APH> pretty close to 80.

A title should be very short. Have a look at book titles (< 20 chars).

APH> You are correct; I'll lower it to 512.

Ok.

APH> > <= 100 should be enough.
APH>
APH> Well consider that an individual name in RFC 822 format (i.e., "Adam
APH> P. Harris <apharris-docreg@burrito.onshore.com>" can easily be 70 to
APH> 80 characters.  So this would allow 3 authors around 65 chars each.

But in the standard you said, that we should add more than one person with
this method:

  Creator: bla <bla@bla.org>
  Creator: bla2 <bla2@bla.org2>

cu, Marco