Re: Re^2: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 08:37:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 06.07.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...
>
> Moin Marcus!
>
> MB> So, a nice frontend could display the DDH or, alternatively, the Types:.
>
> I don#t understand whatfor we need types. I think we should remove this
> tag.

They are the orthogonal sorting criteria for documents *you* requested two
months ago (you said you would want all howto's in a section. This can be
done in a perfect and harmonical way via the "Type:" field. Doing it in the
"Subject" field really is abuse. "howto" is not a subject, it is a type.)

> MB> > !!  Duh!  That's a good point!  I guess you're right that there's no
> MB> > point on translating the title of an english document into German, is
> MB> > there?
> MB> I think it is a very good idea to translate the title of a document.
>
> No, it#s a bad idea. Why should we should the user a German title if the
> document is in English? If he don#t understand English, he can#t read the
> document, so why do we need a German title?

I already pointed out in my very last mail that I misunderstood. Sorry for
that. We probably don't need it.

> MB>  (d) It would be a dot file then, and I hate dot files.
>
> Nice argument :).

I still don't think it is elegant to spread the files in hundreds of
directories (and we have 1800 packages) --- in fact it is slower and not
necessary at all. And we need a common directory for files that can't be
associated witha special package anyway. We could use
/usr/share/doc-base/docreg/ and /usr/local/whatever for local files.

What were your technical objections?

Marcus