Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

On Mon, 2022-08-29 at 11:58 +0100, Wookey wrote:

> Something of an aside from the current debate, but GObject
> introspection introduced significant problems with cross-compiling
> because the introspection process produces different results when done
> on different architectures so you couldn't just cross- do it.

It occurred to me that if the compiler/linker could be made to generate
the GI data and then something else split it out of the binary (similar
to how debug symbols work) then this issue could potentially be solved,
does that sound feasible at all?

> Maybe someone has fixed this in the nearly a decade since I looked in
> to it and the point is moot? But I doubt it.

It is still present. It got brought up at DebConf22 in the cross BoF
and is mentioned by helmut on #debian-bootstrap/etc when necessary.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise