Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation [Was: Looking for new maintainer(s) for GStreamer packages]

Quoting Gard Spreemann (2022-08-26 08:49:21)
> On August 25, 2022 10:52:56 AM GMT+02:00, "Sebastian Dröge" <slomo@debian.org> wrote:
> >PS: To preempt any questions as for why, the background for my decision
> >to stop maintaining any packages is this thread, but it's really just
> >the straw that broke the camel's back
> >  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-rust-maintainers/2022-August/022938.html
> >

> A bit off-topic, but I think we really ought to discuss (address?) this elephant in the room once more. I don't have the answers, but Sebastian's email yet again clearly illustrates how the status quo is hurting the project. This clear example comes in addition to worries raised before about what the status quo does to recruitment of new developers.
>
> PS: I do not imply that the elephant in the room is the ftpmasters. I'm thinking of the *process*. The people involved put in admirable work in carrying out said process.

The way I see it, the process is clear: provide *source* to build from.

If there is "source" built from another source, then that other source
is the true source.

If ftpmasters sometimes approve intermediary works as source, then that
is not a reason to complain that they are inconsistent - it is a reason
to acknowledge that ftpmasters try their best just as the rest of us,
and that the true source is the true source regardless of misssing it
sometimes.

Yes, this is painful.  Yes, upstreams sometimes consider us stupid to
care about this.  Nothing new there, and not a reason to stop do it.

If you disagree, then please *elaborate* on what you find sensible -
don't assume we all agree and you can only state that the process is an
elephant.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas