Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

On Fri, 2022-08-26 at 11:58 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> I don't think building from the least-derived form is always the
> right thing to do.

Personally, I believe that instances of that represent bugs in how the
upstream source trees and build processes are organised.

> For instance, take rust-glib-sys, a package of Rust bindings
> for the GLib library, which is one of the libraries whose handling
> prompted this thread.

I feel like the right way to organise this upstream is for GLib itself
to be building the bindings for itself (as Bastian Roucariès suggests).

Alternatively, if the GLib bindings really need to be separate, then
GLib could build the XML description of its APIs, include that in a
package, then rust-glib-sys build-dep on that, include a Built-Using
header and get binNMUed after every GLib update.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise