Re: Comments on proposing NEW queue improvement (Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote on 27/08/2022 at 20:24:55+0200:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for 695B7AE4BF066240 created at 2022-08-27T20:24:55+0200 using RSA]]
> Hello,
>
> On Sat 27 Aug 2022 at 04:22PM +02, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>

>> On 2022-08-27 15:53, M. Zhou wrote:
>>
>>> That's why I still hope ftp team to recruit more people. This is
>>> a very direct and constructive way to speed up everything.
>>> More volunteers = higher bandwidth.
>>> Recruiting more people doesn't seem to have a serious disadvantage.
>>
>> It does not seem to work. Either people don't want to do that, either the FTP
>> team is too picky on the candidates.
>
> Some combination of both, but I don't think I'm suffering from bias if I
> say that it's at least 80% the former.  Very few people who say they'd
> like to be trained confirm they'd still like to once they've had a look
> at the docs for trainees, and after that, hardly any do enough trainee
> reviews for the other team members to feel confident they can let them
> at it on their own.
>
> I am the only trainee who made it through in recent years and that's
> because I was highly systematic about doing lots of reviews each month.
>
> There are some technical improvements that would be possible.  For
> example, feedback to trainees is entirely done via IRC; I would much
> prefer us to be doing that by e-mail.  But other team members disagree
> with me, I think, and I do recognise I like e-mail more than most people
> do.  There are ways the tools could be better.
>
> In general, however, existing team members, including myself, are pretty
> sceptical that technical improvements would be worth the time it would
> take to implement them effectively.  dak as a whole is less well
> maintained than other core Debian software, but the NEW queue parts are
> pretty good!
>
> So, the bulk of the problem boils down to project members not being
> interested in doing the work.  I certainly understand this.  It feels
> just like grading student essays.  Everyone finds that highly draining
> at first, until you develop a sort of detachment from the activity,
> where your mind is going through the motions of the activity sort of
> like how your hands can be going through the motions of something like
> food preparation for a familiar dish -- you have to learn that you won't
> make worse judgements if you become detached in this way, just like how
> you won't prepare a worse version of the dish if you do it in the
> detached way.  Then I just applied what I'd learned from grading to the
> NEW queue, and then it's pretty fun and even relaxing when you're not in
> a frame of mind to do harder thinking.  But like I said, most people
> don't want to do any of this, and of course being a trainee is *not*
> like that.
>
> And then recruitment is less efficient -- not enough feedback on trainee
> reviews -- because there aren't enough team members.  The usual
> compounding effect.

Hi,

I have been a trainee at the end of 2019 and beginning of 2020. What
drove me away is that it was taking some bandwith because I was not used
to the exercise (and TBH I kind of dislike MC which is needed a lot for
the job), and I got no feedback on my reviews. Not that did plenty of
them, but I did quite some.

After something like 3 to 4 months I went to try being useful (I
honestly felt useless as I got no feedback) somewhere else (MIA/NM
FrontDesk Team).

The job is not really a pleasure, it's true, but the team *needs* to
find a way to be more reactive when trainees try to do it, otherwise
they lose interest.

My 2 cents.
--
PEB