Re: Comments on proposing NEW queue improvement (Re: Current NEW review process saps developer motivation

"M. Zhou" <lumin@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2022-08-27 at 09:50 +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:
>>
>> I humbly disagree. Even from my own point of view, I may well be very
>> motivated to package something I use seriously all the time,
>> seriously. But then I see its dependency chain of 10 unpackaged
>> items,
>> start thinking about the probability that they'll *all* clear the NEW
>> queue, and how long that would take, and I give up. And then there's
>> the
>> problem of attracting smaller contributions, as mentioned above: I
>> really believe that people get put off from putting in 30 minutes of
>> work for a nice MR on Salsa if they can't expect their work to hit
>> the
>> archives for months and months (suppose for example they contributed
>> a package whose SONAME is being bumped).
>
> I agree with your disagreement but I keep my opinion. My track record
> involves maintaining loads of reverse dependency libraries.  I've
> already gone through all kinds of pains from the NEW queue and
> eventually learned to take a break immediately after uploading
> something to new.

I consider you quite the hero for your massive contributions to the
Debian deep learning ecosystem. But I do worry that there aren't enough
Mo Zhous in the world ;-)

> That said, if someone presents a GR proposal I'll join. In Debian,
> it is not that easy to push something forward unless it hurts everyone.
> Our NEW queue mechanism has been there for decades, and people are
> already accustomed to it (including me). From multiple times of
> discussion in the past, I don't see the NEW queue problem hurting
> too many people. If nothing gets changed in the NEW queue mechanism,
> people may gradually get used to it, following the "do not fix it
> if it ain't wrong" rule. The voice will gradually vanish.

… or people quietly vanish from contributing.

 Best,
 Gard