Re: transition to usrmerge to start around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday)

On Sun, 2022-09-18 at 11:16 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> It's fine to oversell the advantages of usrmerge.  It's not fine to
> try
> to hide the disadvantages.

Nothing is hidden, there's an open bug on the BTS, that's hardly a
secret hideout. As others have already explained (and as it was already
explained countless times before including in the CTTE threads), and as
it is already explained in the bug itself, it is a minor issue at best
as dpkg -S was never reliable to begin with, and moreover if it was an
issue for scripts those scripts would already be broken given merged-
usr has been the default in new installations for the past 2 releases
(and for many years in Ubuntu). Therefore it can only be an issue for
console users, who can retrain muscle memory and use pattern matching
mode:

$ dpkg -S bin/passwd
passwd: /usr/bin/passwd

Finally, a patch was provided out of courtesy and is available on the
dpkg BTS attached to the relevant bug, it's up to the maintainer to
take it on. We cannot force it. We are certainly not going to block the
transition for such a minor and work-aroundable problem.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi