Re: transition to usrmerge to start around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday)

On Sun, 2022-09-18 at 11:42 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2022-09-10 15:37 +0200, Ansgar wrote:
>
> > the transition to usrmerge as described in [1] is planned to start
> > around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday).
> >
> > init-system-helpers 1.65~exp1 in experimental adds the new
> > dependency on
> > "usrmerge | usr-is-merged" and will be uploaded to unstable to
> > start the
> > transition. Feel free to test and report any issues.
>
> > Recent versions of debootstrap[2] will setup the usr-is-merged
> > package to
> > avoid installing additional dependencies required by usrmerge.
>
> This does not quite work as intended, because debootstrap's
> simplistic
> resolver only ever looks at the first alternative in dependencies,
> and
> so usrmerge gets installed anyway.  See #768062, for instance.

That doesn't match what I have seen while testing it, and what I see
even now in a sid chroot where usr-is-merged is pre-installed:

# dpkg -l | grep merge
ii  usr-is-merged                        30+nmu1                           all          Transitional package to assert a merged-/usr system
# apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  init-system-helpers
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 49.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

apt does not attempt to install usrmerge.

Can you provide a reproducer?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi