Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

    Michael> Am 17.11.2021 um 19:57 schrieb Sam Hartman:
    Michael> AIUI simply moving files from / to /usr within the same
    Michael> package is not problematic.

Sorry, I was being overly simplistic.
I think your understanding is mostly correct.
You need to make sure that in the same release you do not both
move files from / to /usr

and then later move files between packages.

It's not just that you can't do it at the same time.
It's that it cannot happen within a given release cycle.

Your packaging team may be organized enough to make sure you don't do
that.
And I guess if you've got some plan to make sure you never trip the
problematic conditions it would be okay.

I don't think the project as a whole is taht organized.
So, for example, I think it would be problematic for general tools like
debhelper to move files, because we cannot guarantee that maintainers
will not later (or earlier) move those files between packages.

But we could you know fix dpkg:-)
I'm sure that will be painful at the political level, but personally I
think it needs doing.

Anyway, thanks for calling me out on being imprecise.  There's enough
FUD going around in this discussion I do not want to add to it.