Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

Hi,

On 11/8/21 12:56 PM, Marco d'Itri wrote:

Right now, it is sufficient to preseed debconf to disallow the usrmerge
package messing with the filesystem tree outside dpkg. Managed installations
usually have a ready-made method to do so.

This is not really relevant, since the conversion is mandatory.

Yes, but the conversion needs to be performed by dpkg, because the usrmerge package is not in a position to complete the transition, it will always leave a filesystem that is inconsistent with the dpkg database, and it can not fix up the database because there is neither a time during package installation where the dpkg database is unlocked, nor is it desirable that another package besides dpkg changes the dpkg database, nor is it safe to do so (in fact, that would almost certainly cause files to be lost).

Ergo, the usrmerge package needs to be phased out before the bookworm release, it only creates complications for finishing the transition, and while I find that useful with my Devuan user hat on (as it means that Debian packages will continue to ship essential files in /bin until at least bookworm+1, and we don't need to fork these), my Debian hat says that we should complete this with bookworm.

Last but not least, it is disingenuous to remove control from users (especially those who have previously objected) and pretend they have consented. I would, at the very least, expect the package to honor previous debconf answers (and these would remain fixed if the question were removed).

   Simon