Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 10:50:35AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 01:41:18AM -0400, nick black wrote:
> > Marco d'Itri left as an exercise for the reader:
> > > And the preseeding syntax is as powerful as it is inconvenient.
>
> > > Implementing support for more partition formats, if missing, should be
> > > rather easy.
> > > But which ones do we need for architectures which are not actually dead?
> >
> > So, as I responded to Adrian [0], the only missing partition
> > types appear to be amiga, atari, and sun. Adding them ought be
> > simple enough, though I'd need testers with the hardware, or
> > access to the hardware.
>
> I'd start with asking porters of m68k and sparc64 whether today's systems
> even run anything but Linux.  I think there's little point in keeping compat
> with 80s' OSes.
>
> At a risk of drawing ire of m68k/sparc64 folks, I'd also suggest not putting
> your tuits there until this millenium's hardware is covered well.

This might be needed for booting purposes. 80ies Workstations tend to
have ROMs/BIOSes much like UEFI today and may even be booting files from
a Filesystem on a specific partition and thus disk label type.

So you are not breaking compatibility with 80ies OSes but
the platform as a whole.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f@zz.de