Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

On Mon, 2021-09-27 at 13:06 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On 9/27/21 12:46, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > > Also, since parted is maintained by RedHat, I would expect that this feature
> > > would land in parted soon as well.
> > >
> > If the question is "why does X not use libparted", "does not support
> > discoverable parts spec" is a good enough answer for me.
>
> Not for me, though. Debian has always followed the philosophy to be a universal
> operating system, which also meant that we can't (immediately) use all the new
> technologies and features that other distributions or upstream projects develop.
>
> For example, we don't use systemd-homed or systemd-firstboot either. That doesn't
> mean Debian is per se worse off. It just means Debian tries to cater different use
> cases and follows different concepts.
>
> It's different for distributions like Fedora or openSUSE which focus on a very
> limited set of targets and use cases. That's why they can quickly adopt to all
> the new features and technologies that upstream projects like systemd develop.
>
> I'm not saying that one philosophy is better than the other. I'm just saying that
> Debian is not like these other distributions.
>
> Adrian

Even if that interpretation would work as an excuse to never do
anything, and I'm not really sure it does, this specification has been
published in 2014 [0] so even by Debian standard it's old stuff. It's
older than Debian Jessie, which was EOL'd last year. If libparted can't
keep up with 7 years old stuff that in the meantime was implemented in
util-linux's (which is a truly universal tool) in 2014, gdisk in 2019,
and so on, then to me it sounds like a tool in maintenance mode:
perfectly fine and adequate for existing tools and programs, but not
quite the best choice for new tools developed from scratch.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

[0]