Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

Marco d'Itri left as an exercise for the reader:
> On Sep 24, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>
> > But maybe an alternative? I find the partitioning step one of the most
> > error-prone and hard-to-use parts of non-trivial Debian installations.
> And the preseeding syntax is as powerful as it is inconvenient.
> I had not heard of growlight before yesterday, but from what I have read
> I think that it is very promising.
>
> Implementing support for more partition formats, if missing, should be
> rather easy.
> But which ones do we need for architectures which are not actually dead?

So, as I responded to Adrian [0], the only missing partition
types appear to be amiga, atari, and sun. Adding them ought be
simple enough, though I'd need testers with the hardware, or
access to the hardware.

My biggest worry personally (aside from the realpolitik of
getting this change through) regards the automated partitioning
language available through the preseed system. Trying to emulate
this bug-for-bug is a non-starter, I think, both from a
technical and quality-of-life standpoint. If the emulation can't
be perfectly accurate, I don't think it ought be attempted for
such a critical, delicate procedure.

If faithfully honoring the preseed language is seen as a hard
requirement (not that I've heard this from anyone), it's
probably not happening. How important is that?

I could do a limited implementation, perhaps, where I clearly
error out on a spec I can't handle, falling back to partman.

If, on the other hand, it seems time to revamp the automatic
partitioning specification DSL, I could probably get behind
that. Maybe even the old one; I'd need see how complex it is (I
recall some pain trying to write complicated partman specs in
the past, but it was many years ago).

So...how do I go about making this happen? fwiw, I'm but a lowly
DM, not a DD.

--nick

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2021/09/msg00365.html

--