Re: Bundling

Quoting Alec Leamas (2021-09-26 10:05:04)

See https://wiki.debian.org/PkgKde/DhSymbolsFile

> What do you think about a plan like this:
>
> - We make a provisionary, internal packaging of 3.1.5 and uses that in
> next cycle.
>
> - Around February-March -22 we assess the situation again. If we
> believe that 3.2 will ready and packaged before our own release, we
> just wait for that to happen.
>
> - If not, we approach the wxWidgets maintainer about getting our
> provisionary, temporary package in shape and released, probably in
> experimental.
>
> - If the maintainer refuses to make such a release we have to bundle
> the library in our own package.

I am concerned that you a) seemingly prefer to postpone involving
wxWidget package maintainers, and b) did not anwer my question about
maintenance:

> How do you and OpenCPN upstream expect to handle bugs for that
> specific embedded version of wxWidgets?

I think that if you do not want to properly maintain the wxWidget code
you need, then the best for Debian is that you postpone introducing this
newer OpenCPN release until the wxWidget package maintainers consider it
reasonable to introduce the code needed for it.

If what you call "provisionary" is something done outside of Debian or
only in Debian experimental, then is seems you agree.  But I am not sure
- in particular your "and uses that in next cycle" sounds like you will
not treat it as only experimental but rely on that newer release, no
matter if embedded code is maintainable or not.

 - Jonas