Re: Bundling

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for taking time to try to sort this out!

On 25/09/2021 18:52, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Alec Leamas (2021-09-25 18:23:42)
On 25/09/2021 18:04, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Alec Leamas (2021-09-25 17:47:04)

So, the question: would it be acceptable to bundle the wxWidgets
3.1.5 sources in next OpenCPN release in such a situation?

How do you and OpenCPN upstream expect to handle bugs for that
specific embedded version of wxWidgets?

Sounds more sensible to me to (coordinate with wxwidgets maintainers
to have) wxWidgets 3.1.x packaged as a separate package, tracked
with its proper upstream source.  Then when we get near freeze it
can be assessed how many of the wxWidgets branches we want to
include with the upcoming stable Debian release - and include in
that assessment how many packages reverse-depend on each.

My thinking so far has been that a wxWidgets 3.1.5 package just isn't
possible since there is no ABI stability guarantee.  Am I wrong?

Lack of stable ABI means that each library change may require
recompilation of reverse dependencies.

This can be handled in packaging either by declaring tight dependencies
(see e.g. `man dh_shlibdeps`), or by tracking library symbols and use
those to resolve dependencies (see e.g.
https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles)

Tight dependencies should be fine. This is C++, so library symbols is bit convoluted.

What do you think about a plan like this:

- We make a provisionary, internal packaging of 3.1.5 and uses that in next cycle.

- Around February-March -22 we assess the situation again. If we believe that 3.2 will ready and packaged before our own release, we just wait for that to happen.

- If not, we approach the wxWidgets maintainer about getting our provisionary, temporary package in shape and released, probably in experimental.

- If the maintainer refuses to make such a release we have to bundle the library in our own package.

Thoughts?
--alec