Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

Hello Nick!

On 9/26/21 00:49, Nick Black wrote:
> It supports MBR, GPT, and APM:
>
> https://github.com/dankamongmen/growlight/blob/master/src/ptable.c#L51-L123
>
> (sorry for the gmail-style top posting; i can't find your mail in my mbox
> for whatever reason)
>
> Any other partition schemes ought be trivial to add; they've not been added
> yet
> simply because I don't have means with which to test them.

So, you are not using libparted then?

> Looking at the "partition types" section of the Linux configuration, I see:
>  Acorn, AIX, Alpha, Amiga, Atari, Macintosh, MSDOS, BSD, Minix, Solaris
> x86, Unixware,
>  Windows LDM, SGI, Ultrix, Sun, Karma, EFI/GPT, and SYSV68.
>
> Looking at the disk-label code from partman, I see:
>  gpt, msdos, amiga, atari, mac, sun
>
> So the only ones covered by partman and not covered by growlight would be:
> amiga, atari, sun,
> and mac (if mac is not the same as APM). I don't see any difficulty in
> adding these four, so long
> as there's someone with an Amiga or ATARI who'd be willing to test them
> out. If there are no such
> people, is it that important?

Yes, it is important as we're supporting these architectures in Debian Ports
and I invested quite some time to get Atari partition support added [1],
for example.

I think it makes little sense to not use libparted as it already supports
all common and less common partition types and reimplementing everything
that libparted makes little sense to me.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz