Re: merged /usr

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 03:13:48PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 16, David Kalnischkies <david@kalnischkies.de> wrote:
> > Is perhaps pure existence not enough, do I need to provide an upgrade
> > path as simple as possible as well?
> If you have specific ideas about how the upgrade path could be improved
> then I am interested in hearing them.
> I think that it is hard to beat "apt install usrmerge", but it could

I see… we have a drastically different opinion on what a simple upgrade
path is then; but never mind me labeling it "couldn't be much worse" as
long as we agree it could …

> still be improved by having some essential package depend on
> "usrmerged | usrmerge" (with usrmerged being an empty transitional
> package which ensures that the system has a merged-/usr).

I was discussing this here with Simon already as this needs either:
a) a guarantee that packages built on merged systems work on unmerged OR
b) supporting unmerged in bookworm so buildds and co can be run unmerged

Beside the promise that all packages in bookworm support running on
merged and unmerged as you can't really guarantee at which point the
conversion happens, but that at least is easy as it should be the
status quo (I know there are people who disagree on that already in
other branches of the thread, but I am not here to shave that yak).

a) couldn't be promised so far leading to chroots being unmerged and
b) is at odds with the CTTE decision and a bit awkward as it requires
manual intervention to keep build machines and co unmerged, but that is
at least a much smaller "manual intervention required" set than doing
nothing at all by default.

[Of course, the or-group itself would need to be reversed, but I guess
 that was a typo; and ideally usrmerge would be lighter – but that is
 already discussed in a bug – as it is pseudo-essential and installed
 for everyone]

Best regards

David Kalnischkies