Re: merged /usr

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 12:59:31AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> BTW: the usrmerge package has been in the archive for 6 years now.

/usr/bin/apt exists for 8 years now and the release notes advice using
it in every section. So, how come people are still typing apt-get
interactively to upgrade?

Is perhaps pure existence not enough, do I need to provide an upgrade
path as simple as possible as well?

At least apt is installed on every system in existence automatically,
you don't have to go out of your way to install it manually, so that
transition seems painless and even removes 4 keystrokes in comparison!

What is your transition plan from unmerged to merged?

That is the simple question of this sub-thread and so far Simon told me
how he plans it. As you have worked on yours for years now I would be
happy if you could point to/tell me yours as I could only find "you have
to do it manually" so far. Surely you came up with something a lot
better after all those years.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: For the avoidance of doubt: apt-get is of course going nowhere,
but that cuts both ways: It isn't changing as your fingers hate change –
so e.g. no new interactive questions fingers aren't trained to answer…