Re: merged /usr

On Tue, 2021-08-17 at 12:07 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 03:13:48PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Aug 16, David Kalnischkies <david@kalnischkies.de> wrote:
> > > Is perhaps pure existence not enough, do I need to provide an upgrade
> > > path as simple as possible as well?
> > If you have specific ideas about how the upgrade path could be improved
> > then I am interested in hearing them.
> > I think that it is hard to beat "apt install usrmerge", but it could
>
> I see… we have a drastically different opinion on what a simple upgrade
> path is then; but never mind me labeling it "couldn't be much worse" as
> long as we agree it could …
>
> > still be improved by having some essential package depend on
> > "usrmerged | usrmerge" (with usrmerged being an empty transitional
> > package which ensures that the system has a merged-/usr).
>
> I was discussing this here with Simon already as this needs either:
> a) a guarantee that packages built on merged systems work on unmerged OR
> b) supporting unmerged in bookworm so buildds and co can be run unmerged
>
> Beside the promise that all packages in bookworm support running on
> merged and unmerged as you can't really guarantee at which point the
> conversion happens, but that at least is easy as it should be the
> status quo (I know there are people who disagree on that already in
> other branches of the thread, but I am not here to shave that yak).
>

> a) couldn't be promised so far leading to chroots being unmerged and
> b) is at odds with the CTTE decision and a bit awkward as it requires
> manual intervention to keep build machines and co unmerged, but that is
> at least a much smaller "manual intervention required" set than doing
> nothing at all by default.
>

> [Of course, the or-group itself would need to be reversed, but I guess
>  that was a typo; and ideally usrmerge would be lighter – but that is
>  already discussed in a bug – as it is pseudo-essential and installed
>  for everyone]
>

> Best regards
>
> David Kalnischkies

If src:usrmerge is made transitively-essential, from that point onward
it wouldn't matter if a package is no longer compatible with the legacy
split-usr setup, no? Because in order to apt ugprade and get that,
you'll also get usrmerge and the conversion will be done, right? Or am
I missing something?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi