Re: merged /usr

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 02:26:29PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 at 14:33:44 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> > the current 'transition' plan is to have the
> > release notes nudge all people who upgrade instead of reinstall their
> > systems, chroots and what not to please do it for all of them by hand
> > at a to be specified flag day someday between now and bookworm
> > freeze
>
> I think the earliest flag day that would be possible (for requiring merged
> /usr, or for completely undoing merged /usr, or for any similarly "big"
> transitional path) is the bookworm release date. We specifically don't

That would be nice, but isn't what the CTTE ruled as the implementation
of the resolution (= no longer supporting non-merged-usr layout) is
delayed until after the release of bullseye. That is also what the
bullseye release notes say, too.

Wouldn't it be kinda strange to have the chroots building the packages
for the first bookworm release using a layout which isn't supported by
bookworm itself… and wouldn't it be even worse if we change from the
quasi-bookworm unmerged unstable chroots to the bookworm merged chroots
[as unmerged isn't supported for them] for building the packages of the
first point release?

That is why I said freeze as I kinda doubt the release team would like
to have a big change for bullseye after the freeze…

> 2. bookworm release: systems must transition at or before the upgrade to
>    bookworm (bullseye systems are not required to transition until/unless
>    they are upgraded)

The "at" in this sentence means that all bookworm packages must support
unmerged as you can't guarantee that the transition happens before¹ and
forces bookworm chroots to be unmerged as well as the packages built in
them will be used to upgrade from bullseye as we don't do →.0 → .1 → …
upgrades. That is of course in direct contraction to not supporting
it anymore.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

¹ well, you could by having $magic implemented with the essential set
and shipped in something like base-files (= installed everywhere) to
pre-depend on it from quite literally every package in existence.
[shouldn't be a new package as release notes traditionally advice to
 run an upgrade without installing new packages first] Kinda doubt
that would work in practice…