Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

On Tue, 2021-08-17 at 14:07 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> 2021, ഓഗസ്റ്റ് 17 12:18:00 PM IST, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>ൽ എഴുതി
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 8:25 PM Pirate Praveen wrote:
> >
> > > Many node modules don't tag their releases so its really hard to get
> > > exact source code corresponding to an npmjs.com release.
> >
> > It is probably worth filing upstream issues when you discover that.
>
> We do file issues but response is not guaranteed.
>
> > > Also with mono repos becoming more popular (many modules are developed
> > > in the same git repo with each module having a different version but
> > > there is no way to get tarballs of individual modules), now we not only
> > > need to download tarballs corresponding to tags and then exclude all the
> > > other modules we don't need from the monorepo tarball.
> >
> > Could you package the monorepo instead of each module?
> >

> Sometimes we do but it has the risk of packaging
>  unleased changes. So it is similar to packaging git main branch.

Some monorepos like src:python-azure (
https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-python/ ) are such an
unsalvageable mess that different modules from the same monorepo depend
on each other, but a given monorepo commit rarely has compatible,
coherent versions checked in. It can and does happen all the time that
module A depends on module B and C, but at commit 12345 B is compatible
but C is not, and at commit 54321 C is compatible but B is not.

And the alternative of using pypi as upstream is of course a no-go,
given how it's a malware-infested dump. With hundreds of modules in the
monorepo, I can't possibly manually check every time that some of the
names haven't been taken over by typo-squatters or suchlike (yes,
sometimes the module names in the monorepo are different from the
module names uploaded to pypi).

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi