Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:25:50PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 12:31:51PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > IMHO, it's better to have a vote quickly on a limited set of GR options,
> > with the possibility of a second GR if there is sufficient dissatisfaction
> > with the first GR outcome, than to have community energy spent endlessly on
> > crafting a perfect set of options before we take a vote.

> You are saying that whenever there are 6 DDs who don't like the outcome
> of the first GR, they should start a second GR that repeals the first GR
> and replaces it with something better as soon as the results of the
> first GR are posted.

Not exactly.  I'm saying that whenever there are 6 DDs who don't like the
outcome of the first GR, *and believe it could be overturned with a better
worded option*, they should start a second GR.

> I would rather have one discussion that covers all aspects of the topic,
> with all options on one ballot, and then have the topic settled instead
> of having an endless succession of GRs around the same topic.

So, the option to overturn with a second GR if the first one is considered
satisfactory already exists (and would exist under any proposed changes to
the system).  How often has that option been exercised?

I think the existing system already gives you the result you say above that
you want.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/