Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021/04/18 13:20, Debian Project Secretary - Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> The details of the results are available at:
>> https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002
>
> Thanks for all your work on this vote, I believe that you made excellent
> decisions as project secretary and it seems that all views that were
> expressed on -vote were well represented in the vote, so again, I think
> I can talk on behalf of the project here when I'm giving special thanks
> for your work.

I would like to congratulate you for becoming our next DPL.

> However, I don't think we're quite in a position to pat ourselves on
> the back here. This vote has once again highlighted some problems in
> our methods for making decisions. I think that we should set up a
> working group to specifically deal with voting, polling and
> project-wide decision making so that we can deal more efficiently with
> problems in the future.
>
> While this vote caught a lot of heat, essentially it's quite a trivial
> vote. Ultimately it had become a question of if and how we should
> respond to an external situation. I think that as Debian grows, as the
> free software eco-system grows, and as software gets ever more ingrained
> in our every day life, the questions and problems we're going to face
> will become increasingly complex and that we should adapt to be able to
> deal with those as a project.
>
> Can we go ahead and set up such a working group? I'm thinking that it
> would involve mailing list discussions, video calls, sessions at
> DebConf, probably at least one GR, research on different voting methods
> that could be used, voting software, etc. Fortunately, we're not the
> only organisation in the world facing issues like these and we can make
> use of some external experts too. Although all of this will also take
> some time and effort so I'd really like to have you on board as one of
> the drivers of this project and also others who have a keen interest in
> this. What do you think?

The winning option "Debian will not issue a public statement on this
issue" implies that the majority of DDs is not interested in such
non-technical affairs.  Such a working group will distract us from
achieving technical excellence.

Yours,
Benda