Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:58:51AM -0600, Sam Hartman wrote:
> 1) The person who introduces a GR is treated differently than anyone who
> introduces an amendment in ways that are odd, and are subject to
> strategic abuse.

This asymmetry guards against a GR discussion being allowed to continue
indefinitely as a result of a small minority of developers repeatedly
introducing amendments that prolong the discussion period.

Whether malicious or not, I think this is important to guard against.

IMHO, it's better to have a vote quickly on a limited set of GR options,
with the possibility of a second GR if there is sufficient dissatisfaction
with the first GR outcome, than to have community energy spent endlessly on
crafting a perfect set of options before we take a vote.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/