Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:50:25AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I'll still oppose installing a locate package on every system by default
> which burns energy every day on millions of computers for almost noone's
> benefit.
>
> Those who want locate, can apt install it. The rest shouldn't default to
> having more toxic computers than need be. Energy wasted is toxic for this
> planet and thus all of us.

While I appreciate the idea, the amount of power burned every day by updatedb
is microscopic on any reasonable scale (on the order of “if I turn down the
temperature in my living room by one degree, it will probably offset 100k
Debian installations running updatedb every night”).

If we really want to make energy use an overriding concern in Debian,
there are _much_ more impactful things we should do, such as energy-tuning
our default install, or optimizing dpkg so it no longer uses several
CPU-seconds every time it wants to upgrade a package. Or throwing out a few
architectures so we don't waste power on their buildds.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: https://www.sesse.net/