Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 6:29 PM Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse@debian.org> wrote:

> Now, there is plocate (written and maintained by myself). It is orders of
> magnitude faster than mlocate

I use plocate on most days. Directly installed on laptops and
desktops, and via backports on all my file servers.

> I believe a good, fast locate is something that we should have in our base
> install; it is fine to keep it out of the cloud image (as today), but it is
> genuinely useful for both desktops and servers, and with a low cost.

I very dimly remember updatedb being a concern when cloud images were
first discussed. Back then and today, agreed, it does not make sense
there.

IMO, it makes sense on both servers and desktops, so rather than
through tasksel, I would think it's a useful default to have on all
non-virtual installations.

Richard