Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 02:15:17PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 07:28:56PM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > I very dimly remember updatedb being a concern when cloud images were
> > first discussed. Back then and today, agreed, it does not make sense
> > there.
>
> Agreed, but we don't install all Priority: standard packages on the
> cloud images anyway, and I don't see us going out of our way to add it
> to them even if plocate is promoted to standard.
>
> > IMO, it makes sense on both servers and desktops, so rather than
> > through tasksel, I would think it's a useful default to have on all
> > non-virtual installations.
>
> Personally I'd rather leave it out of the default install, and I really
> don't like the idea of running it on servers by default.  First, the
> additional IO may impact serving latencies.  Second, because servers
> (except maybe multi-user shell servers, but they're not the general
> case) are purpose-built systems, and the locate utility really doesn't
> contribute anything to the system's purpose.

All locate variants are a PITA on servers, especially when virtualized.
Imagine a 100+ VM hypervisor at 6:30 starting an updatedb job on all VMs
in parallel. I debugged stuff like that for customers so yes - This
problem is real.

My ansible "essential" roles purge all variants of locate.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f@zz.de