Re: Making Debian available

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 09:39:05 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> The pointers to the Debian image on the Debian front page (and the discussion
> about standard/installer with firmware) relate to the non-live Debian installer.
>
> If we want the Calamares image to include firmware - that's a matter for debian-live, I think.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
seems to include both d-i images and live images that have the non-free
firmware included, if I'm reading correctly.

My understanding is that the live images are primarily intended for
the typical "live system" use-case descended from things like Knoppix
(boot machine from USB stick or optical media; use machine with OS from
RAM, USB stick or optical media; shut down machine; no trace is left),
with permanent installation via Calamares being considered somewhat
experimental.

    smcv