Re: email backend for fedmsg

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 23:11, Peter Silva <peter@bsqt.homeip.net> wrote:
Most Sarrracenia stuff is tied to AMQP, but next-gen messages are called v03 (version 3) they use a JSON payload
for all the information, and that makes it somewhat protocol independent.  There is also a 500 line MQTT demo
that implements a file replication network, using the same JSON messages, and primed from an AMQP upstream.
the peer code there is just a demonstration prototype, but it processes the messages the same way as real Sarracenia.

That code has been run against mosquitto and EMQT, and I think another broker, I forget... It worked without issues on all of them. MQTT interop is flawless afaict.   note: we were using v3.  Have not played with v5.

Sarracenia essentially defines a JSON payload for advertising that a file exists. That is a fairly popular problem, but if your problem isn´t that, then you should define a different payload.  It could be used for file replication, or orchestration/workload co-ordination, or other things in the IFTTT style... but in the end, this is just one application of a message bus, it doesn´t need to encompass all applications, but is a good way to get a useful thing implemented with it, so people see that it is useful.   I think applications need to define their messages, and trying to be too general makes them harder to understand and apply.

Right, I think every application participating in communication through the bus could also provide a message schema (either json or yaml schema) on demand. I.e. it when a message is sent, it would also always include a reference to a particular schema and if the recipient of the message doesn't have this schema stored locally, it would send a message to the sender asking for it and the sender would send it back.

I am an upstream maintainer of fedmsg now and this is an option that I see to make fedmsg a viable solution for a linux distribution message bus. If somebody would like to cooperate on this from Debian community, it would be great, I think we could create an awesome thing together. Needless to say, I also have a day job and quite a long TODO queue but I could get to working on this if I can get somebody else interested.

If not, a confirmation from somebody from Debian community that this is interesting and they would think about using it if something like this existed would also help.

Best regards!
clime