Re: email backend for fedmsg

Hi!

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, at 13:06, clime wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Ad. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/07/msg00377.html -
> fedmsg usage in Debian.
>
> There is a note: "it seems that people actually like parsing emails"

This was just a way to say that fedmsg never got much of a user base in the services that run on Debian infra, and that even the new services introduced at the time kept parsing emails.

> [...]
>
> So fedmsg would become a tiny wrapper over email that would just
> serialize and parse json data to and from email messages and check
> signatures.

The only native fedmsg producer in Debian was mentors.debian.net. Other events were generated by various email parsers connected to mailing lists (debian-devel-announce, debian-bugs-announce).

> I am asking because I like the idea of distribution-independent
> infrastructure message bus that this project had.

Yes, it was a nice idea.

> [...]

Cheers,
--