Re: Salsa CI news

On 2/5/20 10:33 PM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> Upstream binaries are not DFSG compliant.

Why?

> Not only they use shitload of
> vendored libraries

That is how go works. The exact version is available, the source code also.
The way how the docker image is being built is actually in the sources,
follow

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-runner/-/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml

If you replace the used base image by debian:stable, and fix the way the
needed packages are installed, you could run this on salsa and have
Debian images out of it.

> but also bundle pre-built source-less Alpine-based helper
> image

Alpine linux, including the source to build their images is here:
https://github.com/alpinelinux
Afaik there is nothing in alpine linux that is non-free.

> fetched on build-time and incorporated into executable.

That is how go works.

> Instead of of telling me to go some place else consider that gitlab-runner
> was rather difficult to introduce as an official package. Now when we have a
> proper package for a while what excuse do you have to continue to use vendor
> binaries that could not be accepted to Debian?

Still can't find a reason why the official and supported images are not
dfsg-free. They are not shipped in Debian, but they are free software,
binaries with sources being available, as far as I can see all under a
dfsg free license. Where is the problem?

Bernd