Re: Appstream + Gnome

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 01:17:34PM +0100, Jeff wrote:
> One of my packages is an application and ships a .desktop file and
> appstream xml. The tracker.debian.org page for the package complained
> that the ID for package didn't follow the {tld}.{vendor}.{product}
> scheme[1], so I modified so that it did.
>
> Now I have a report from a Gnome 3 user that since the above change, it
> is no longer possible to add the application as a "favorite".
>
> It seems that adding an application is only possible in Gnome 3 if the
> ID is exactly the same as the executable name.
>
> Given there seem to be plenty of gnome-* applications that use the
> {tld}.{vendor}.{product} scheme, I seem to be missing something.

I was likewise hit by a similar issue.  It seems to be a Wayland bug,
rather than a Gnome bug though.
Also, none of the Gnome application are affected due to their heavy use
of Glib stuff that do enough magic to keep everythign working.

See https://bugs.debian.org/942600
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/issues/539

If anybody could also help with my bug above, that would be awesome.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :