Appstream + Gnome

Firstly - apologies for sending this to -devel. Please point me at a
better place to ask the question if there is one.

One of my packages is an application and ships a .desktop file and
appstream xml. The tracker.debian.org page for the package complained
that the ID for package didn't follow the {tld}.{vendor}.{product}
scheme[1], so I modified so that it did.

Now I have a report from a Gnome 3 user that since the above change, it
is no longer possible to add the application as a "favorite".

It seems that adding an application is only possible in Gnome 3 if the
ID is exactly the same as the executable name.

Given there seem to be plenty of gnome-* applications that use the
{tld}.{vendor}.{product} scheme, I seem to be missing something.

How can I pick an ID that satisfies the appstream parser referred to by
tracker.debian.org, and allows Gnome 3 users to add the application as a
favorite?

Regards

Jeff

[1]