Re: Bits from /me: A humble draft policy on "deep learning v.s. freedom"

On Fri, 2019-05-24 at 10:43 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I wonder whether we'd accept a developer's assertion that some large pdf
> in a source package could be rebuilt without actually rebuilding it  on
> every upload.

As I understand it, ftp-master policy is that things in main be
buildable from source using only tools in main, not that everything in
main is actually built from source at `debian/rules build` time.

There are plenty of things in the archive that we do not build from
source on the buildds, firmware-linux-free for example.

Obviously the best way to prove things are buildable from source is to
actually build from source and do it as often as possible.

Personally I'd like:

 * A standard build profile used when building everything from source.
 * A way to tell debian/rules to build everything from source.
 * A build toolchain option to make use of these.
 * A requirement that things not built from source come in a separate
   component tarball of the source package, using the multi-tarball
   feature of the v3 Debian source package format.
 * More upstream separation of build products from source.

> I think we probably would.

Personally I do not think it would be acceptable to not build large
PDFs from source. I doubt the PDF build process could be problematic
enough that we couldn't do it on current buildds.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise