Re: When acting as a service admin, it's official, no really.

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Alexander> On Sun, 15 Sep 2019, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>     >> Sam Hartman: >>>>>> "Bastian" == Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org>
>     >> writes:
>     >> >
>     >> > Bastian> Hi Sam
>     >> >     Bastian> On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 05:35:10PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     >> > >> The Salsa CA pipeline is recommended.
>     >> >
>     >> > Bastian> For this I need to use my veto as Salsa admin.  With
>     >> the CI > Bastian> people we have to work through too much
>     >> problems first.
>     >> >
>     >> > [...]  > I'll remove it from the next version.
>     >>
>     >> Please don't. It would be a shame if we would *not* recommend to
>     >> use the awesome Salsa CI pipeline for automated continuous
>     >> testing of package development. I applaud the Salsa-CI's team for
>     >> their effort, it's a huge step forwart for Debians QA standards.
>     >>
>     >> I also honestly appreciate all the hard work that the Salsa
>     >> admins put into running Salsa, but it's absolutely not acceptable
>     >> how they try to missuse the power of their role by behaving as
>     >> Salsa dictators.
>     Alexander> They? Since noone Cced me, I wasn't even aware of this
>     Alexander> discussion.
>
>     Alexander> So please don't they unless it is something offical from
>     Alexander> the team (such things will not hidden in a long thread).
>
> I'm sorry, but Bastian's statement was inherently official.
> He was a Salsa Admin, saying something that could only be said in his
> official role.
> When I took it as an official statement and acted on it, he thanked me
> rather than correcting me that it was only his personal opinion.
>
> It's reasonable for the project to take it that way; many people did.
>
> It was on Bastian to communicate appropriately within the team.  If that
> didn't happen, that's an internal team matter.
If we want to announce something, we announce it. Until we do something like
this: of course there can be a (temporary) veto. You can't expect us to allow
things that will break the service for everybody without stepping in. That
doesn't mean that such things are final decisions or the we don't work with
people to improve/fix things.

Bastians communication is sometimes a bit shorter or more direct than it
should be. If you are unsure about things - talk to the team and not
something hidden in some threads (salsa-admin@ or IRC).

Alex