Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa

Matt Zagrabelny:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>

>>> There are a number of ways forward:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> 5) Make no recommendations in this space
>>
>> Why do all things need a recommendation? List the possible places to
>> host a repository with their advantages/disadvantages. If somebody is
>> not able to decide where to put a package based on that, they might not
>> be able to maintain it anyway.
>>

> Having sensible recommendations reduces the barrier to entry. Even if you
> provide a list with all the pros/cons there is still a decision to be made.
> Every decision that needs to be made is a barrier. Reading and
> understanding, research and applying context, contemplating and making
> decisions.

As someone who several times introduced newcomers to the world of Debian
packaging, I wholehearted agree. There's tons of tools to understand and
decisions to make if you're new to the Debian ecosystem. Having some
clear recommendations definitely helps a lot here and significantly
lowers the entry barrier. Again, thanks to Sam for driving forward the
discussion towards clear recommendations/defaults here!

On the other hand, calling newcomers as incompetent just because they
struggle with reading through the pros and cons of every single tool
decision doesn't help at all. Quite contrary, it aggravates a
non-welcoming athmosphere.

Cheers
 jonas