InstallBootstrap (was: Re: Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos)

Hi,

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2019-10-08 10:30:45)
> Quoting Paul Wise (2019-10-08 02:35:14)
> > On Mon, 2019-10-07 at 11:29 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > > I think "re-bootstrap, don't upgrade" is an equally good principle for
> > > autopkgtest and sbuild? Both will be equally susceptible to accumulating
> > > cruft during upgrades that wouldn't have been there in a fresh debootstrap,
> > > which is undesired if you want the invariant that you are (building|testing)
> > > in "today's" minimal environment.
> > debootstrap uses a fair bit more time and resources than apt upgrade,
> > so I think that both are needed.
> This seems a good place to mention mmdebstrap as a speedier alternative to
> deboostrap.

while I certainly welcome use of my software, let me also use this opportunity
for a word of caution. One of the core reasons why I created mmdebstrap was to
create a proof-of-concept for the idea that it should at some point be possible
to create a chroot of Debian (or a derivative) without all the magic
instructions which currently live in debootstrap and cdebootstrap. Instead, all
necessary information should live in the packages themselves using the same
component-centric way of thinking we apply to other engineering decisions in
the distribution. An extended rationale can be found on the following wiki page
and in the bugs it links to in the first section:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/InstallBootstrap

But as of today, the problem is not solved. So that mmdebstrap works today (and
has been working in stable, testing and unstable for the past year) is
unfortunately more like happenstance than due to some ingenuity on the part of
mmdebstrap.

Thanks!

cheers, josch