Re: Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos

Quoting Paul Wise (2019-10-07 03:38:55)
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
> > FYI, this is because autopkgtest has an abstraction for multiple
> > container/virtualization mechanisms (lxc, lxd, qemu, schroot)
> It seems like this abstraction should be split out of the autopkgtest
> source and then depended on by autopkgtest. Do any other such
> abstraction layers exist?

I do not know of any other such abstraction layers but would warmly welcome
them not only for the purpose of including them in sbuild.

Specifically, currently autopkgtest is limited to providing a read-only layer
for certain backends and its upstream has no intention of widening the scope of
the software [1]. This means that to upgrade an autopkgtest backend, the user
has to apply backend-specific actions which defeats the purpose of having a
unified abstraction layer for multiple backends in the form they get used by
sbuild.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=886332

This is also one of the main reasons why the autopkgtest backend is still
marked as experimental by sbuild as other contributors to this thread already
noticed: sbuild-update will never be able to upgrade autopkgtest-based
backends. :(

Thanks!

cheers, josch