Re: Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos

On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 at 12:41:55 -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> AFAIK sbuild has had this support for a while with --chroot-mode
> autopkgtest, --autopkgtest-virt-server (lxc, lxd, or qemu), and
> --autopkgtest-virt-server-opts='name of container goes here' will also
> do the trick; however, it's still marked experimental.
>
>   https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/sbuild/sbuild.1.en.html
>
> Yes, I also find it strange that one has to use arguments named
> "autopkgtest" to build on LXC, but that seems to be what the fine manual
> indicates how it works.

FYI, this is because autopkgtest has an abstraction for multiple
container/virtualization mechanisms (lxc, lxd, qemu, schroot), which
some other tools (sbuild, reprotest, vectis) have reused as a way to avoid
having to invent their own equivalent abstraction. sbuild doesn't know
anything about lxc specifically, but it does know how to use an arbitrary
autopkgtest-virt-* backend, and autopkgtest-virt-lxc is one of those.

(There's an autopkgtest merge request open to add a docker backend, which
I'll try to fix up enough to get it merged at some point.)

    smcv