Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 07:00:36PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 14:44:01 +0100, Ian Jackson
> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >Marc Haber writes ("Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?"):
> >> We have already thrown sysvinit away.
> >
> >No, we have not.
>
> We have given up on so many ideas that sysvinit has come with that it
> doesn't make sense to stick to Tradition on this count.

That would work better if fixes to non-systemd were not actively opposed.
It's a wee bit nasty when for example a good working _tested_ patchset for
the utopia (policykit, etc) stack was prepared and ready in January 2018,
re-proposed multiple times but stonewalled every time, an unsanctioned NMU
was met with a call to demote the NMUer from DD status (because "hostile"),
there was a last-minute demand to change the approach (from policykit
linking to multiple backends to ABI-compatible alternative to libsystemd),
which was then rejected as too intrusive; this led to GUIs in Buster having
been released in a non-usable state (many packages non-instalable,
shutdown/etc not working, etc), and even now src:elogind is kept from
testing for not implementing some journald functionality (there's no
journal...).

(I'm sitting outside some hotel on the wrong continent mooching their WiFi
thus I can't investigate the last part at the moment, but...)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁