Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 18:42:34 +0100, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 20:14:22 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Scripts with such dependencies will probably fail miserably on systems
>> that are using systemd-cron instead of one of the "classic" cron
>> packaes
>
>I thought so too, but they don't: systemd-cron uses run-parts for
>cron.{hourly,etc.} too.

... this imports many disadvantages of the old scheme into the new
world. Philipp has explained in this thread very well.

Maybe systemd-cron could be extended to be locally configurable
whether to use run-parts, keeping the old semantics, or to generate
individual timers.

systemd itself would need a means to group different timers together
with the constraint that at most X of those can run in parallel.

>On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 at 08:47:49 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Setting RandomizeDelaySecs sufficiently high on our daily jobs would
>> probably help to chop off the load pike that especially virtualization
>> setups running many Debian instances suffer from at 06:25 or 07:35. I
>> think this could be a net gain worth pursuing.
>
>If you want this, the way to opt-in to it is currently to add a native
>systemd timer, and make the traditional cron script a no-op on systems
>running systemd (to avoid doing the periodic task twice). For example,
>apt and man-db have both done this.

... which takes away flexibility and standardization from the local
admin, adding more things to think about when developing larger
infrastructures. I am not sure whether I like that.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |