Re: NEW queue and src-only uploads [Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!]

Hello,

On Tue 09 Jul 2019 at 08:45AM -04, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> Why is it, then, that binary-NEW still applies if there have been no
> source files added/removed?  (A SONAME bump possibly being necessitated
> by some change that does not involve adding/removing/renaming source
> files.)

For the addition to the binary package namespace to be reviewed.

> Following on that, what about a package that does add/remove source
> files (perhaps many) without a SONAME bump or other change that results
> in a new binary package?

Same again.

> It seems like reviewing the package name space on introduction of a new
> binary package and an additional review of a SONAME bump are good things
> and the binary-NEW criteria seem to fit.  However, the "there might be
> new source files with licensing issues" does not seem to be a good fit
> for binary-NEW criteria.  Not to say that it matters much in the context
> of binary-NEW.  But if catching potential licensing issues associated
> with large source changes is in fact something which the FTP team wishes
> to be able to do, it probably warrants a different filter than "adds a
> new binary package to the archive" in order to be effective.

The FTP team can't check every single upload, so I guess that at some
point someone decided that checking every binary-NEW upload was a
sensible compromise.

More sophisticated filtering on what gets checked would probably be a
good idea, but that would need someone to implement it.

--
Sean Whitton