Re: NEW queue and src-only uploads [Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!]

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 01:33:49PM +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon 08 Jul 2019 at 02:02PM +02, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > I would go even further and drop the (manual) NEW queue for  binary-NEW
> > packages.
> > Is there a good reason why new binary packages need manual processing by
> > the FTP team? Couldn't this be fully automated?
>
> The three things the FTP team check[1] are worth doing again for
> binary-NEW packages.  In order: there are often lots of new files in an
> upload that ends up in binary-NEW so there might be licensing issues; a
> new binary package means a new member of the binary package namespace;
> it's good to have a second pair of eyes look at your SONAME bump etc.
>
> [1]  https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html right at the top

I've always wondered about this.

Why is it, then, that binary-NEW still applies if there have been no
source files added/removed?  (A SONAME bump possibly being necessitated
by some change that does not involve adding/removing/renaming source
files.)

Following on that, what about a package that does add/remove source
files (perhaps many) without a SONAME bump or other change that results
in a new binary package?

It seems like reviewing the package name space on introduction of a new
binary package and an additional review of a SONAME bump are good things
and the binary-NEW criteria seem to fit.  However, the "there might be
new source files with licensing issues" does not seem to be a good fit
for binary-NEW criteria.  Not to say that it matters much in the context
of binary-NEW.  But if catching potential licensing issues associated
with large source changes is in fact something which the FTP team wishes
to be able to do, it probably warrants a different filter than "adds a
new binary package to the archive" in order to be effective.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez