Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Hello,

On Mon 08 Jul 2019 at 10:37AM +10, Ben Finney wrote:

> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > It may be “bare debian” is meant to cover this; but I don't
>> > recognise the comment “requires use of quilt and similar tools”
>> > because I've never needed to use Quilt for this.
>>
>> How do you handle needed changes to the upstream source?
>
> * Use whatever VCS is published by upstream, to implement the change.
>
> * Preferably do this in a local fork, because:
>
>   * Rebase the branch as necessary while the change is not yet merged
>     upstream.
>
> * Export that change as a series of patches.
>
> * Those patches become DEP-3 files in ‘debian/patches/’ of the Debian
>   package.
>
> So the VCS tools themselves, and the DEP-3 format, completely (?)
> obviate the need for any human to touch Quilt.
>
>> Or do you just never make any changes to the upstream source?
>
> We are rarely that lucky! Changes to upstream are very often needed.
> That's a good reason to maintain a local clone of the upstream VCS
> repository.

Okay, thanks for this, I think I understand better now.

Do you expect some other Debian contributor doing an NMU to clone a copy
of upstream's repo and follow a similar workflow, if they want to change
the upstream source?  Or what?

--
Sean Whitton