Re: Uninformative hyperlink in O: (package orphaning) bug reports

To everyone who is working on this problem, thank you :-)

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 10:38:14AM +0200, Michael Kesper wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On 09.07.19 09:17, Michael Kesper wrote:
> > I think this is still starting a little bit negative, maybe like this?
> >
> > If nobody adopts this package it will vanish from Debian.
> > Do you care for this package being part of Debian?
>                        ^^^^^^^
> Maybe change this "package" to software, as I just realized that term
> is used a little bit too often here and users don't care about
> "packages" but about using software.

The Case of the Disappearing Orphans: Motivations for maintaining to
open source software.

To be fair, doesn't the QA team (and random acts of kindness) often
keep these packages alive?  Maybe say something about that, and also
how placement into a team provides better support for both the
package/software and prospective contributor?

Also, in the interest of keeping things positive, is it worth noting
that Debian has "an almost magical ability to transform users into
developers" (I read that in an article somewhere, years ago)?  Thus,
maybe package orphaning bug reports can become a more smooth path for
situating new contributors into whatever context has the best chance
of maximising their long-term motivation and future contributions?

> > If so, have a look at https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers to
> > understand best practices of maintaining a package.
> > If you are new to Debian packaging, please read the tutorial
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/index.en.html and also
> > study how other Debian maintainers package similar packages.
>                                      ^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^
> Don't know exactly how to phrase that better.

Hm, I'm not sure.  Ideally it seems like it would be nice if we could
provide a bit more streamlined procedure for "similar packages".  Eg:

  1. What language is the package implemented in?
  2. Is there a team for that?
  ...URL for intake page for new members to a team, with
  hello-world packaging example (technical reference) and a link to the
  git repo of a complex package that is a well-documented high quality
  model of the team standards.  The language-specific Hello-world
  example should use dh, unless the team generally doesn't (eg: IIRC the
  Haskell team, et al).  The complex package would be a learn-by-example
  for things like overrides.

Contributors will eventually learn how to search & find the resources
they need, but I've seen a number of emails expressing how new
contributors feel laughed at for not being able to find the relevant
information and solutions.

Thanks again to everyone who is working on this!
Regards,
Nicholas

P.S. has anyone yet volunteered to help out with that sphinx document
conversion project.