Re: [Idea] Debian User Repository? (Not simply mimicing AUR)

* Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> [190409 01:26]:

> >> Disinterested volunteers are never forced to work for Debian.
> >
> > Yes, that's why I said “expect” and not “force”.
>
> Being forced is the definition of expect.
>
> "to consider bound in duty or obligated they expect you to pay your
> bills" <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expect>

No, "expect" means that one person has a belief that another person has
some obligation (note the word "consider" in the definition you quoted).
An expectation does not need to, and very often does not, have any
coercion ("force") associated with it.  Expectations are often not met,
and are sometimes not even reasonable.

> >> What is the point of being so negative?
> >
> > Not sure who you're addressing here, and I'm sorry if the discussion
> > appears negative to you.
>
> I am addressing you. You try to dissuade people on the basis this is
> work you are not interested to do. If someone was implementing PPA/DPA,
> what would be the downside for people not interested in them? None. You
> can just ignore the feature.

I don't believe he was being negative.  Combining the paragraph you
quoted with his next paragraph, I interpreted it as "Your idea may not
align with the principles of the Debian project as a whole, but you seem
to have enough capable developers who are interested in your idea to
implement it outside of Debian."

That sounded constructive and encouraging, while redirecting away from a
solution that he did not believe would (or should?) work for reasons
related to the ideals of the project.

...Marvin