Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 21:25:11 +0200, Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>Obviously we renamed packages (which made us incompatible with the rest
>>of the world) already if needed. Rememver iceweasel or icedove?
>
> Didn't we ship aliases? Are firefox and thunderbird commonly invoked
> from scripts that might be expected to run on different distributions?

Incompabilities come in different levels: shell script compatibility is
one, but there are also package names, API or ABI, file system hierarchy
etc.

We have no basic rule to keep any of them; it is all about weighting
pros and cons.

> Technically, this will be the next "take this script, it runs
> everywhere but on Debian" which will hurt the project.

Sure. My point here is that we don't have a fixed rule "never break
third-party scripts". We (or the package maintainer) should carefully
see whether the advantage of using non-offending names outweights the
compatibility issues.

Cheers

Ole