Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:02:23PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 July 2018 7:43:39 PM AEST Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > weboob itself is fine, maybe. But there are various other binaries
> > inside the weboob packages that aren't, at least not so much:
> >
> > wetboobs
> > handjoob
> > boobsize
> > boobtracker
> >
> > like, seriously.
>
> Yuck... :( Incredibly tasteless and probably intentionally controversial...
>
> I see your point and I agree with you yet renaming might still be
> inappropriate and/or ineffective.

It might be ineffective, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the issue.

> I'd like to see stronger justification for replacing uncomfortable reference
> to part of human body

It's not an "uncomfortable reference to (a) part of (the) human body".
It's a wholly inappropriate reference to a part of the *female* body
often associated with sex, which therefore is a mysogynistic and
demeaning reference to women.

> because why should it be uncomfortable? If double "O" is a problem

The double "o" is not a problem. The reference to boobs is.

> then how are we not offended by Google? If we swap body part reference
> to another body part like "leg" or "arm", it becomes just ridiculous.

Yes, but that's not what this is about.

> I have no intention to defend this particular package but more interested in
> principle of justifying such actions.

I'm not. The current situation is terrible. We should fix it.

If we have another similar situation in the future, we can decide then
what we need to do; but we don't need rules for everything, especially
not for matters of (bad) taste.

> > > Asking person to change his name because it is unpleasant to us would be
> > > beyond rude.
> >
> > This is true, but not relevant to the issue at hand (which is about
> > weboob).
>
> That was about misuse of diversity statement. My point is about how
> inappropriate renaming might be, if pushed too far.

Nobody is suggesting that we rename a person, we only suggest to rename
binaries and/or a package. Therefore this is not being pushed too far,
and your tangent is irrelevant.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab