Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 9:02:15 PM AEST Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> It's not an "uncomfortable reference to (a) part of (the) human body".
> It's a wholly inappropriate reference to a part of the *female* body
> often associated with sex, which therefore is a mysogynistic and
> demeaning reference to women.

With all due respect, you did not research the matter enough and neither am
I... Just as I was checking online dictionaries to see if I've missed
something as terrible as you say, I've found that "boob" is a reference to
"embarrassing mistake" or "foolish or stupid person".
Evidence suggests that "weboob" may be semantically interpreted as word play
around something entirely non sexual.

  https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/boob
  https://www.thefreedictionary.com/boob
  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boobs
  https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dictionary%3A%20boobs

Once again, please don't ignore context. Certain words may be used in
offensive context but they are not necessarily offensive on their own.

Here presumably offensive context appears to be implied, or projected.

Mind that you are promoting the worst possible interpretation and that's not
a good thing...

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

You have to start with the truth. The truth is the only way that we can
get anywhere. Because any decision-making that is based upon lies or
ignorance can't lead to a good conclusion.
        -- Julian Assange, 2010